Friday, April 24, 2009

A Moment of Peace

Where do I begin? I'm not posting this for sympathy, but to share the beautiful experience I was able to have today. First of all, I want to say to all those Mom's whose husbands are away from home....those husbands that may be serving our country, or something else that keeps them away from home for long periods of time, I don't know how you do it. Jim has been gone since the first of January with the exception of most weekends. It has now switched over to being gone two weeks at a time then home for a very short weekend before he is gone again. These weeks have seemed like an eternity. This has been a very hard thing for our family, especially because we are the type that tries to spend as much time together as we can. I have reached my breaking point several times the last several months, but with the support of family, I have pulled through. I know this has been very difficult on Jim also. He misses his family very much and wants to be home to see his girls.
As I looked over the schedule of events for this week, I knew it was going to be a very busy one. There was a doctor's appointment, soccer almost every night, and piano. On top of that there was trying to get the house ready to sell. It all seemed very overwhelming as I realized I was doing this myself. Wednesday I remembered that this Sunday is my turn to teach Relief Society. Oh great, when am I going to find time to prepare a lesson. Oh ya, we also signed up to clean the church on Saturday. Of course it's the weekend Jim is gone. Let's hope the girls are willing to help and that Samantha sleeps while we are cleaning. As I sat in the kitchen Wednesday with Lexie trying to eat some lunch, Lexie points out the ants crawling on the kitchen floor...What!!!!...Just another thing to deal with. That's when I remembered that the previous Sunday in church they announced Ward Temple night on Friday. I immediately thought, "I need to go to the Temple. I can go on Friday. Jim's mom can watch the girls. It will work." As the next two days unfolded, I kept waiting for something to come up that would keep me from going because something usually does. I arranged with Connie to watch the kids still expecting something to happen so I wouldn't make it there. At 2:50 P.M. I found myself sitting in the waiting room for the session to start. It has been a very long time since I have gone to the Temple without Jim. This made me miss him even more. The session was very beautiful. As the session ended, I realized that I was the last one to enter the Celestial room. I sat down to enjoy my time there and within a few minutes, I was the only one left in the Celestial room (besides the matron). I became so overwhelmed with the spirit and the peacefulness that I felt. I didn't want to leave, but knew I had a hungry baby waiting for me. I took in every second that I could and just enjoyed it. After picking up the girls from Connie's and doing a little grocery shopping, I returned home to the same house that I left.....dishes in the sink that have been piling up for two days....and ants mounded around a french fry that was dropped on the floor two days ago. Only now I was much more relaxed and those messes didn't bother me. I know Heavenly Father made it possible for me to go to the Temple today. Whenever Jim and I go to the Temple I usually say afterward, "Ha Ha Satin, we made it and you didn't stop us!" This time I didn't say that because Satin was no where around. Everything just opened up and it was so easy to be there. I thank my Heavenly Father for letting me have this experience today. I know things will still be difficult the next few months, but I can look back at this experience and hold onto that peace I felt and know that I can return to the Temple to feel it again.

11 comments:

Jim Rowley said...

Kristi, I love you and am glad you had that experience.

Trina said...

Kristi, I had tears in my eyes reading your post. I love being in the temple and it has been way too long since I have been there myself. You are at a very busy time in your life and I wish I could be there to help you with the kids or house. I can't imagine how hard it must be without Jim there. Don't worry too much about the lesson, you always did a great job and I always felt the Spirit when you taught. That is what people will feel and learn from. Hang in there. :) We love and miss you guys!

Sandra said...

What a great post! I'm so glad you were able to have the opportunity to go even though your week was hectic. I hate ants!! We have had our bouts with them getting into our house too. Good luck on your lesson, I'm sure you will do a great job!

Brian and Amelia said...

I'm glad that you were able to find a moment, and some peace at the temple. What a great experience! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony. It's nice to know sometimes that we're not alone in this world of mothers (and lonely mothers). Let me know if I can ever do anything!

Peter and Emily said...

Hey Kristi, I am glad that you were able to have peace. That is very important. Especially when you are all alone.

As for your question earlier; we got our boxes from some friends, family, and Staples. Though to tell you the truth when we helped Mark and Kalli move, we (not sure if this is legal) pulled boxes out of the Walmart's recycling bin. You know the good clean ones. --Man that sounds a little white trash-ish. There you have it.

If you need any help this week let me know. Our home is now on the market so we keep getting kicked out and have to come up with things to do.

Scott and Amme said...

Kristi, that was beautiful. You made me cry. I love the temple and miss having it just down the street. I need to go and feel that peace as well. You are so great and I love you so much. Thanks for being such a good friend. Good luck with your lesson. I know you will do a gret job. I miss hearing your lessons in good 'ol BP3.

Amber Bradley said...

I wish I lived closer to you! I wish I could help! I struggle because Larry is gone so much and he still comes home every night, it might be late, but he still does. I don't know how you do it, but I do wish I was closer and could help! One of these days, you should bring your younger two out here while your kids are at school and we can let them go to the park and you can just get out of your house! I am so glad you had that experience and I think you were very inspired to share it! I needed that! That is something I need to make time for so that I can have that peace I need, and be a better mom but I haven't been good at it lately! SO, thanks! Hope the time flies by for your sake!!!

Mamalissa said...

I am so glad that everything fell into place for you to go to the temple. I agree that its usually the other way around (everything working against you). Only He knows what we really need to get through the hard times and He was able to give you the temple this time. :) Keep smiling!

JENKIES said...

This is a wonderful story. I am glad that you found me. We haven't had the best of internet. So I think we are up and running. I hope everything is going well for you.

The Busey Family said...

Hey. I am glad that you got to go to the temple. I love being there and it is such a peaceful place. My husband is joining the Air Force. I am not too sure about it, and I will miss him a lot. It will be hard. Hope all is going well with your cute little family!

Bobi... said...

Kristy, I don't know if you have checked my blog since the crayon roll giveaway. If not, you won! Check back in to my blog to find out what to do to recieve your crayon roll.