Ok, Torgersen cousins, I finally attempted it! Pear Jam! I have been bottling pears for awhile along with the peaches, but I haven't attempted the pear jam. It was one of my favorite that Grandma made. It went best with her homemade bread. I knew I couldn't go the rest of my life without it, so I went for it. I tried to call mom a few times the night I was making it to get her advice, but she wasn't home, so I just did it. As you can see in the picture it is a little dark. I think I cooked it a little too long, but it tastes good! If any of you have made it and have tips on how to make it like Grandma did, please let me know. I do think for my first time though, it went well. The day after I made the jam we went for our morning walk. We passed by a house that we could smell homemade bread. It even smelled like Grandma's! Oh, the memories!
Now I am going to get even more scentimental.....
Every time I make something that Grandma used to whether it is the jam or Christmas candy (Boston Cremes), I get emotional thinking about her and the time we spent at her house helping her or atleast enjoying those things she made. This year as I was making apricot jam I thought of Grandma and how she is probably smiling down and glad that I was attempting it! It made me smile instead of cry. What a great Grandma we all had! I know she is still with all of us today, encouraging us to keep trying! 
This is from deer camp in "03".


13 comments:
Well I definitely can't help with the jam making (however consumption is another story), but I am wondering about the relation to Dave Torgersen? I've known Dave since we were little kids and I know how much he loved going to visit family out there.
Hey Reg. Kristi's mom, Ranae, and Garth are cousins. I guess that makes Kristi and Dave 2nd cousins. What is Dave up to these days?
When we were at Grandma's this summer, Aunt Wilma's daughter brought her to visit before her hip surgery. Bryce had to carry her in the house. They sat on the couch and visited. I can't describe how it felt to watch them, the last of the Brindley sisters. I took a picture because I couldn't stand thinking it could be goodbye if things didn't go well, as far as I know she is good. Anyway, they loved their food and it is so yummy! I can't think of a better tribute or a better way to honor Grandma Opal than to continue the legacy of awesome food! Now if we only lived several hundred miles closer...Logan really does sound pretty good to me.
How is the job hunt going?
You're jam looks wonderful and so does your grandma. If you have talents with plums I have an entire tree that you are welcome to. I'm afraid the domestic gene completely missed my side of the family.
go ahead and make us cry. i haven't looked at a pic of Grandma for a while and a flood of emotions just came running through. thanks for posting that kristi. can you come over to my house and make some jam with me. wouldn't that be so much fun? love you!
It looks delicious. I have always loved canned pears, and I have never tried pear jelly. It looks great.
I miss Grandma too. I didn't get to spend any where near the amount of time with her all you guys did, but loved every second that I did.
Kristi you are amazing. I love how much you appreciate your relationships and that you don't take the sentiments for granted. I wish we were there to take some of that canning off your hands. :) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE canned pears and I can only imagine the yummy jam. I would eat it on homemade crepes with cottage cheese. :) Hope you are doing good and feeling ok.
What are you trying to do to me??? I have got to stop blog hopping while at work, especially if you are going to make me cry!
Oh well it is a good cry. I spend all me free time trying to provide the yummy food and treats for my family that my Mom and Grandma Opal did for us. Still trying to perfect a lot of things... but like you, I will keep trying.
Love you,
Kimala
All I have to say is that is great to remember these things and the example Grandma was to us. Even when she wasn't in great health she taught several cousins how to make her famous peanut brittle! She loved doing it and she will love our attempts! Your pears look great! Some of my attempts haven't been so great:) But I will keep trying.I am glad we can share these happy memories together!
Oh, very good. Dave's still around here. We used to have them over for a dinner about once a year. Now we're down to about one email a year. He's a civil engineer and they have 3 boys with one on the way if my memory serves (which is always suspect).
Hey Kristi, thanks for the comment on my blog! It's so good to hear from you! You have such cute little girls! Is your new baby a boy or girl? The Jam looks great! I wish we lived closer and you could teach me some tricks! Yum, Yum!
I loved this post! Dosn't fall have great times to remember! What a perfect picture to remember grandma by!
Post a Comment