Pro's and Con's
of making a blog PRIVATE.
I would like to hear from you! For over a year now I have contemplated making my blog private. I have reasons why I haven't and reasons why I want to. Please share with me what you think the Pro's and Con's are of making a blog private. And remember, everyone has their own opinion and what they do with their blog is their choice and is what works for them! After I hear your responses, I'll share with you my thoughts. Thanks!


11 comments:
hmmmm...we started out private but our parents were much less internet savvy at the time and could never get on...thus we went public...really, i don't post that often and don't have that many readers...i am not biased to either way...just do what works for you. I guess that isn't much of an opinion!
In my opinion, for me any ways...if I want to post my kids names and pictures and talk about specific places I prefer it to be private. There are too many child porn people out there and I want to keep my kids safe. My aunt showed me just last week that she had people in other countries checking her blog quite often and that made her uncomfortable so she went private.
The cons I would say is you can only invite 100 friends. So I've seen friends go private but then go back to being open because they had so many that wanted invited. It's up to you :)
We are not private due to the same reason your other friend is not. I like knowing that my parents and other friends can get on. Though the main reason I post is to show my mom and family who live far away something. So I guess if I thought that they would go through the extra step of signing on I probably would go private.
Pros:
You could feel a bit more secure about what you post. EX: Photos with your home, embarrassing pictures, etc.
One less searchable site. One of my friends was warned by their lawyer (due to a sticky situation), to have private networks on all of their social networking sites.
Cons:
The extra step.
Old friends can't just stumble across your blog.
I'm fine either way. I think if I were posting a personal blog with personal information about my family & kids I would be more comfortable with it being private. But I have also had experiences where I stumbled onto an old friend's blog by clicking over from another friend's blog - only to find it was private - and that's always a little disappointing. But then I don't email them for an invite because I don't want to feel obligated to stick around - I just want to lurk/stalk & see how things turned out for them. So I guess in the end, it really didn't matter that it was private - if I care THAT much about them I'd figure out a way to ask for an invite. Plus, with Facebook, reconnecting with old friends doesn't necessarily need to happen through blogs.
Do what you're comfortable with - just make sure you bring me along. :o)
The reason I like public is that on the side bar snipits the private ones won't show up. I don't check the private ones as much because I never see when they update unless they have a separate public one that links it, it that makes sense.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=12933972
This is a big reason I like having mine private. It used to be such a hassle because I could only have 100 readers but that has changed which makes me happy! I have had many people ask if I have a blog and for an invite and figure if they want to look that is what they have to do, for me protecting my kids is more important than the people who are able to view it, because for me, it is our journal. But for me, I don't have my blog connected to my FB and have all privacy settings as high as possible so that I don't have to worry about my kids. Just me...but for example. You know what we do every winter...I don't want some random person to know that and know that we will always be gone during that time. I think it is a personal decision though and know many people that have open blogs, I don't think that is bad, I am just glad I can have mine private. Good luck making your decision. I know I went back and forth for awhile too.
PS... I LOVE reading your blog! I am so bad at commenting, but I loved your mom post awhile ago. I love seeing what you guys are up to and watch as your girls grow up. You are an amazing mom! So, if you do go private, I would love to get an invite!
I have gone back and forth on it too. I am with everyone else on protecting my kids, but I love coming across someones blog that I haven't seen for awhile too. Good Luck, and I'm gonna miss you guys next week! It won't be the same without you!!
I think it all depends on what you want your blog to be. Is it just a family journal type thing? Or are you trying to connect with friends/other Moms/share ideas? That would make a big difference in whether or not you choose to go public or private.
I have really enjoyed meeting new people and sharing the Gospel through blogging, which is exactly why I started my public blog. I know this isn't "foolproof" but I never use our last name on our blog. Ever. I think that helps prevent strangers from tracking us down. I also never write when we go out of town until AFTER we've gotten back just in case someone knows where we live? I don't know.
However, I've actually considered going private so I can keep my blog secret from some family members that have been less than happy about what I post. You know, I've decided if they don't like it, they shouldn't read it. Their problem. I'm not writing anything mean.
Are you worried about your kids? or why are you thinking of going private? I'm not sure how someone could track down your kids... if you have family passwords in place and computer rules at your house. Our children's schools are also VERY careful about who they are released to. Just some thoughts... maybe I feel more comfortable than I should, but I feel okay. Most people out there are Moms just like us looking for recipes, crafts, advice, and friendship. Out of all of the thousands upon thousands of blogs out there, I seriously doubt some creepo is going to find one and see a picture of a child and try to track them down and take them. But again, maybe I'm being a bit naive here.
I also agree with Sandra. I don't like how the private blogs don't show the latest post on the side bar... I have to remember to scroll down and read them.
Maybe... you could do two blogs, one public and one private for different needs.... hmmm, that's not a bad idea.
I love you Blog! I don't blog but I love reading up on my friends that do blog and seeing how your family is doing. So if you go private people like me (that are only looking at blogs because we know you and want to see what you have been up too, not a stalker way :)) But yes, its your blog and you do what you feel is best. But, yes but I will sure miss reading your blog if you do :)
Love ya,
Ann Kennedy
I personally feel safer having a private blog. I also know some people, like family and friends, who happen to be in the pictures I've taken of my kids don't want their kid's picture and name posted on a blog if it's not private. So I think you have to be careful of who else's name and picture you're posting so you don't make other people feel unsafe because they may not be as comfortable having their name and picture out there for anyone to see. I hope this makes sense. Public blogs are easier and faster to check though.
Post a Comment