Monday, March 24, 2008

Am I The Best Dad For My Daughters?

Recently, a member of our bishopric loaned me a book on being a father to daughters, titled Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know. I don't yet know if this is because he thinks I need to improve, or he just thought it was a good book, and I have daughters. It is written by Meg Meeker, M.D., who has a background in Psychology, and Pediatrics, and has many years experience working with troubled youth, particularly young women. She outlines the challenges of today's youth (a good perspective, although I don't believe she is a member of the church), and what a father needs to know to connect with his daughters.

One part in particular that I found insightful was on being your daughter's hero. "Your daughter wants a hero - and she has chosen you.

"Think about heroes: they protect people, they persevere, they exhibit altruistic love, they are faithful to their inner convictions, and they understand right from wrong, and act on it. No fireman counts the odds when he runs through sheets of flame and showers of concrete to save just one terrified person.

"Heroes are humble, but to those they rescue, they are bigger than life."

So, how's that for responsibility?

0 comments: